Back to Policy Manual
D-680-AR: Local Authorities Pension Plan
- Local Authorities Pension Plan 2(1)(4)
- LAPP Instruction Manual
- Participation in Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP) shall be in accordance with the LAPP Act and its Regulations.
- Eligible employees are those employees who are not covered under the Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund (ATRF) and who are between 15 years of age and the end of the year in which they turn 71.
- Casual and temporary staff are not eligible to participate in the LAPP.
- There is no waiting period for commencement with the plan.
- Participation is compulsory for all eligible employees who work 30 or more hours per week.
- Participation is optional for eligible employees who work at least 14 hours and not 30 or more hours per week.
- Employees who work less than 14 hours per week are non-participating and ineligible for LAPP.
- Once an employee is enrolled with LAPP, they remain members until they leave employment or their hours are reduced to less than 14 hours per week. A temporary drop in hours would not allow for the re-determination of an employee’s membership.
- All eligible employees who work the ten month school calendar from September to June shall be granted a full year of pensionable service, pro-rated based on full-time equivalency.
- Full-time equivalency is 40.0 hours for maintenance staff, 37.5 hours for custodial staff and 30.0 hours for all other staff.
- Acting pay and vacation paid while an employee is on vacation are pensionable service.
- On-call, overtime, extra hours and vacation pay paid out are not pensionable service.