Back to Policy Manual
C-110-BR: Division Owned Vehicles
- Alberta Traffic Safety Act
- National Safety Code for Motor Carriers
- St. Albert Public Schools Safety and Maintenance Program
- All vehicles, whether purchased by division services or individual schools, will be the sole property of St. Albert School Division.
- All St. Albert Public Schools’ vehicles will be registered and licensed under the corporate name.
- The use or rental of division owned vehicles for personal or non-division related business is strictly prohibited.
- The use of division owned vehicles is subject to the following:
- drivers must possess a valid driver’s license and possess the proper class of license for the type of vehicle they are operating;
- only authorized persons and goods are to be transported;
- division owned vehicles will be driven in a courteous, safe and lawful manner; and
- alcoholic beverages may not be transported in any form or at any time.
- The manager, facilities services, may allow supervisors and on-call personnel to take maintenance vehicles home at night and/or on weekends to allow employees to respond to emergency facility calls.
- The manager, facilities services, and/or designate, may drive a division vehicle home, after hours to facilitate timely response to emergent facility situations.
- All incidents or complaints related to the operation of division owned vehicles will be referred directly to the superintendent, or designate, for investigation.
- All parking tickets or traffic violations incurred by an employee operating a division vehicle will be the sole responsibility of the employee. The board directs administration to develop a process for collection of fines incurred by employees, while operating division vehicles.
- The use of 15 passenger vans for transportation of students is strictly prohibited.
- The use of hand-held cellular phones while driving, as defined in the St. Albert Public Schools Safety and Maintenance Program, is prohibited. Should a driver require the use of a hand-held cellular phone, they must move to a safe location before answering the phone or making a phone call. Only a driver who is not transporting students may use a hands-free cellular phone while driving.